Update: So yesterday I realized I can't do math. Madeline will not be 4.5 until this week. Apparently a degree in Finance is no match for pregnancy brain. The struggle is real.
Madeline was 4 1/2 at the beginning of May. Here are some things we want to remember about her at this age:
- She always has little treasures she'll attach herself to. Recent ones have been: pet stick (literally a stick), little teddy (a small teddy bear) and the always trusty lovey
- A month ago on our way to the kids' school we passed a school bus. Madeline asked, "When can I ride a school bus?" I answered with, "When you go to big kid school." So she asks, "When do I go to big kid school?" Me: "After one more year at HCA." Tear. Madeline: "I can't wait until I go to big kid school! What will I learn?" M: "You'll learn things like science, math, social studies, how to read, things like that." M: "I'll learn SCIENCE and SOCIAL STUDIES? I'm so excited! I can't wait to learn those things!" We get to school and she proceeds to tell everyone she sees that "One more year of HCA and then I get to go to big kid school and learn all sorts of new things!" I'm SO very thankful that she loves to learn, and I hope that never changes.
- Speaking of school: Her teacher said she could always count on Madeline to correct her. Not in a disrespectful way, but more like "You said this last week, why is it this way this week?"
- She sleeps from 8pm - 6:30 am. She has stopped napping and now has "rest time", where she has to play or look at books in her room for at least an hour.
- She is still picky when it comes to food and doesn't eat much. Sometimes I wonder how she grows. Her favorite foods are blueberries, apples, mac and cheese, pizza and carrots with ranch.
- She plays really well by herself and sets up her own little cities/set ups. Her favorites are camping and school. She also has her "children" which consists of Lovey, Lily the cow, Anna, Elsa, bitty baby, Rapunzel, Tigey the tiger and Dolly (her American girl). She'll tote one or two of them around during the day, and they "need" things like food (real food), a seat belt in the car, to be put down for naps, etc. It got to the point where we discussed how mommy has two human kids I take care of, and I can't constantly be doing things for her kids, too. I told her they were her children and she needed to take care of them. :)
- She has gotten good at riding her bike and actually enjoys it now.
- She sometimes talks to Andrew like she's his parent. "Andrew, that is not allowed. Go to time out." It's usually followed up with, "It's ok Andrew. I forgive you."
- Girlfriend will argue with us All. Day. Long. Unfortunately for her arguing happens to be one of my strong points, and she is slowly learning that she will NOT win.
- Her favorite color is pink and she loves wearing dresses. If it's not pink or a dress, I have a tough time getting her to wear it. Heavy bribery was involved to get her in the white shorts and blue shirt for these pictures.
- Madeline's teacher told me that Madeline goes about her day like she's living in a Disney movie. This couldn't be more accurate. Constant songs, dramatic movements, and using her imagination.
- She is very into our schedule, and what happens on what days.